Public Conversations Series 2021
Professor of Law
Faculty Director, UCLA Sustainable Technology and Policy Program
Frank G. Wells Endowed Chair in Environmental Law
- B.A. Villanova University, 1982
- J.D. University of Pennsylvania, 1986
- UCLA Faculty Since 1998
Timothy Malloy teaches Environmental Aspects of Business Transactions, Regulatory Lawyering, Regulation of the Business Firm, Environmental Policy and Politics, and Contracts. After receiving his law degree, Professor Malloy clerked for Judge Donald W. VanArtsdalen of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. He joined the UCLA faculty in 1998, after spending a combined 11 years in practice at private firms and at the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Region III. Professor Malloy's research interests focus on environmental, chemical and nanotechnology policy, regulatory policy, and organizational theory and decision analysis, with particular emphasis on the relationship between regulatory design and implementation and the structure of business organizations. He is the faculty director of the Environmental Science and Engineering doctoral program in the Institute of the Environment and Sustainability. He serves on the EPA’s Board of Scientific Counselors and on the State of California’s Green Ribbon Science Panel.
Articles And Chapters
- Evaluating the Application of Decision Analysis Methods in Simulated Alternatives Assessment Case Studies: Potential Benefits and Challenges of Using MCDA (with Beaudrie, et al.), 17 Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management 27 (2020). Full Text
- QSAR Use in REACH Analyses of Alternatives to Predict Human Health and Environmental Toxicity of Alternative Chemical Substances (with Chinen), 16 Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management 745 (2020).
- Lessons from the 2018 International Symposium on Alternatives Assessment: Advances and Reflections on Practice and Ongoing Needs to Build the Field (with Tickner, et al.), 15 Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management 909 (2019).
- Multi-Criteria Decision Analysis Characterization of Chemical Hazard Assessment Data Sources (with He and Schoenung), 15 Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management 895 (2019).
- Resilience and Risk Governance: Current Discussion and Future Action (with Trump, Poinsatte-Jones, and Linkov), in Handbook on Resilience of Socio-Technical Systems, (edited by Matthias Ruth and Stefan Goessling-Reisemann, Edward Elgar Publishing, 2019).
- Advancing Alternatives Assessment for Safer Chemical Substitution: A Research and Practice Agenda, 15 Integrated Environmental Assessment & Management 855 (2019).
- Risk Associated with Engineered Nanomaterials: Different Tools for Different Ways to Govern (with Trump, Hristozov, and Linkov), 21 Nano Today 9 (2018).
- Comparative, Collaborative, and Integrative Risk Governance for Emerging Technologies (with Linkov, et al.), 38 Environmental Systems and Decisions 170 (2018).
- Has Toxicity Testing moved into the 21st Century? A Survey and Analysis of Perceptions in the Field of Toxicology (with Zaunbrecher, et al.), 125 Environmental Health Perspectives (2017). Full Text
- Advancing Alternative Analysis: Integration of Decision Science (with Zaunbrecher, Batteate, Blake, et.al.), 125 Environmental Health Perspectives (2017). Full Text
- Policy Reforms to Update Chemical Safety Testing (with Nel), Science (2017).
- Advancing Alternatives Analysis: The Role of Predictive Toxicology in Selecting Safer Chemical Products and Processes (with Zaunbrecher, et al), Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management (2017). Full Text
- Leveraging the New Predictive Toxicology Paradigm: Alternative Testing Strategies in Regulatory Decision-Making (with Elizabeth Beryt), Environmental Science Nano (2016). Full Text
- Risk-Based and Prevention-Based Governance for Emerging Materials (with Trump and Linkov), 50 Environmental Science & Technology 6822 (2016).
- Toxicity of Acidization Fluids Used in California Oil Exploration (with Abdullah, Stenstrom, and Suffet), Toxicological & Environmental Chemistry 1 (2016). Full Text
- Alternatives Assessment Frameworks: Research Needs for the Informed Substitution of Hazardous Chemicals (with Jacobs, Tickner and Edwards), 124 Environmental Health Perspectives 265 (2016).
- Decisions, Science and Values: Crafting Regulatory Alternatives Analysis (with Linkov, Blake and Sinsheimer), 35 Risk Analysis 2137 (2015).
- Nanomaterial Categorization for Assessing Risk Potential to Facilitate Regulatory Decision-Making (with Godwin, et al.), 9 ACS Nano 3409 (2015).
- Design for Regulation: Integrating Sustainable Production into Mainstream Regulation, in Law and the Transition to Business Sustainability, (edited by Daniel R. Cahoy and Jamison E. Colburn, Springer International Publishing, 2014). Full Text
- Principled Prevention, 46 Arizona State Law Journal 105 (2014). Full Text
- Integrating Technology Assessment into Government Technology Policy, in Innovative Governance Models for Emerging Technologies, (edited by Gary E. Marchant, Kenneth Abbott, and Braden Allenby, Edward Elgar Publishing, 2014). Full Text
- Use of Multi-Criteria Decision Analysis in Regulatory Alternatives Analysis: A Case Study of Lead Free Solder (with Peter Sinsheimer, Ann Blake, and Igor Linkov), 9 Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management 652 (2013). Full Text
- Risk and Decision: Evaluating Pesticide Approval in California (with Froines, Kegley and Kobylewski), Sustainable Technology and Policy Program 2013..
- Soft Law and Nanotechnology: A Functional Perspective, 52 Jurimetrics Journal 347 (2012).
- Environmental Public Health Law: Three Pillars (with Richard J. Jackson), 39 Journal of Law, Medicine and Ethics S34 (2011).
- Nanotechnology Regulation: A Study in Claims Making, 5 ACSNano 5-12 (2011). Full Text
- Disrupting Conventional Policy: The Three Faces of Nanotechnology, 28 UCLA Journal of Environmental Law & Policy 1-6 (2010). Full Text
- Risk Governance for Mobile Phones, Power Lines and Emerging Technologies (with Kheifets, Swanson, Kandel), 10 Risk Analysis 1481 (2010).
- The Social Construction of Regulation: Lessons from the War Against Command and Control, 58 Buffalo Law Review 267-354 (2010). Full Text
- Of Natmats, Terrorists, and Toxics: Regulatory Adaptation in a Changing World, 26 UCLA Journal of Environmental Law & Policy 93-127 (2008). Full Text
- Green Chemistry: Cornerstone to a Sustainable California (with Wilson, Schwartzman, Fanning & Sinsheimer), UCLA Center for Environmental and Occupational Health (2007).
- Disclosure Stories, 32 Florida State University Law Review 617-72 (2005).
- Innovation, Regulation and the Selection Environment (with Peter Sinsheimer), 57 Rutgers Law Review 183-233 (2004).
- Regulation, Compliance, and the Firm, 76 Temple Law Review 451 (2003).
- Regulating by Incentives: Myths, Models and Micro-Markets, 80 Texas Law Review 531-605 (2002).
- Pollution Prevention as a Regulatory Tool in California (with Peter Sinsheimer). . in Policy Options 2002 (UCLA School of Public Policy and Social Research, 2002).
- Once More Unto the Breach: The Regulation of Hazardous Waste Recycling, 7 Villanova Environmental Law Journal 1-50.
- Second-Look Remedies: Strategies for Reevaluation Superfund Cleanups, 26 Environment Reporter 1420.
- Enforcement in the Air: Clean Air Act Enforcement in the Coal Industry, Coal Age Magazine (Nov. 1997).
- Cleaning Up the Tax Code: Tax Incentives Under the Taxpayer Relief Act, The Legal Intelligencer (Sep. 18, 1997).
- Bridging the Gap: Integrating Tax and Environmental Considerations, The Legal Intelligencer (June 19, 1997).
- Taking a Second Look at Superfund Remedies, New Jersey Law Journal (Oct. 21, 1996).