Lawyers in a World of Crisis
August 13-15, 2022 at UCLA.
The UCLA School of Law’s Program on Legal Ethics and the Profession is honored to host the International Legal Ethics Conference 2022, a meeting of legal ethics scholars and practitioners from around the globe and flagship event of the International Association of Legal Ethics. After having to cancel the planned 2020 event due to COVID-19, we are especially excited about the opportunity to gather as a legal ethics community, commemorating what we have lost, critically examining where we have arrived, and thinking proactively about how to strengthen legal ethics in a world of continuing crisis. The conference will take place August 13-15, 2022, at the Luskin Conference Center on the UCLA campus. There will be full-day programming on August 13th and 14th, and a half day of programming on August 15th, ending at midday. Due to ongoing uncertainty about the pandemic,we will provide updated information about entry requirements, on-campus health protocols, and other relevant information about the conference on this site (see Event Protocols). At this time, we are planning to have participants gather in-person to present scholarship addressing critical issues in legal ethics, legal professions, lawyering, and legal education around the world. Through these discussions, the conference aims to deepen our collective understanding of the ethical practice of law and how lawyers can strengthen professional values, equal justice, and the rule of law in a period of significant instability and increasing inequality, but also one with new opportunities for lawyers to participate in movements to promote equity and inclusion. We look forward to finally hosting you in L.A.!
Congratulations to the winners of the Rhode Prize and Rhode Early Career Scholars
Rhode Legal Ethics Prize 2022
- Sara Schendel, Suffolk Law School, Due Dates in the Real World: Extensions, Equity, and the Hidden Curriculum Available at: SSRN: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=2742703
- Atinuke O. Adediran, “Racial Allies” (2022) 90 Fordham Law Review 69. Available at: https://ir.lawnet.fordham.edu/flr/vol90/iss5/11/
- Tamara Butter, “Ethics in Practice in Asylum Law: Asylum Legal Aid Lawyers’ Moral Reasoning in Respect of ‘Hopeless Cases’.” (2022) Legal Ethics 28 (in press).
- Noah Rosenblum, “Power-Conscious Professional Responsibility: Justice Black’s Unpublished Dissent and a Lost Alternative Approach to the Ethics of Cause Lawyering.” (2022) 34 Georgetown Journal of Legal Ethics 125. Available at: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3635662
Rhode Early Career Scholars 2022
- Caroline Daniell, University of Waikato, Mindfulness: Cultivating a Practice of Legal Ethics
- Daniel Del Gobbo, McGill University, Legal Ethics and the Promotion of Substantive Equality
- Jordana Goodman, Boston University, Access to Justice for Black Inventors: Exploring Inequalities in the Hair Care Industry