Cost of Attendance

Tuition and Fees

The 2018-19 J.D. tuition rates are provided below.

  • California Resident: $45,600.87
  • Non-Resident: $52,094.87
  • Health insurance: $3,901.94*

All University fees are subject to change, and the fee amounts billed for this period may be adjusted at a future date. Please be aware that fees are subject to revision without notice.  In addition to tuition and fees, law school students should budget approximately $560.00 per semester for books and supplies.

*The health insurance is a mandatory fee but it may be waived provided you have comparable health insurance. For details, visit the Arthur Ashe Student Health and Wellness Center.

All fees are subject to revision without notice. Please consult information about the fee payment process.

Withdrawal Refund Chart – Refund schedule for students withdrawing from school

Living Expense Budget

The law student budget – to cover books, supplies and living expenses for the nine-month school year – is assigned based on the student's housing status. Our off-campus budget is assigned to students living alone or with roommates; our commuter budget is assigned to students living with parents or other independent family members in the area. See below the variations of the law student budget for 2018-19 academic year.

For Informational Use Only

  Monthly Semesterly Monthly Semesterly
Room and Board        
 Rent $1,324   $534  
 Food $628   $419  
 Utilities $116   $112  
Books and Supplies   $564   $564
Car/Bus/Ride Share
 Parking and Other   $373   $373
 Clothing $119   $101  
 Entertainment $110   $81  

Total Available



Allowable Budget Adjustments

The University of California, Los Angeles, will allow professional students to increase the standardized budget intended to cover expenses above and beyond tuition/fees. This increase will grant access to additional federal Direct Graduate PLUS loans or Direct Unsubsidized loans. See below for qualifying conditions.

Loans for Computer Purchases

The U.S. Higher Education statute permits colleges and universities to allow students to use federal financial aid to purchase a computer. At UCLA, law students who wish to take advantage of this provision must obtain a Budget Increase Request Form. Students must complete the form and provide a computer purchase receipt. Keep all receipts!

Childcare/Eldercare Expenses

Students who provide for dependent children or elderly relatives while attending the UCLA School of Law may request a budget increase through our office by completing a Budget Increase Request Form and providing proof of payment. This proof can be in the form of receipts for childcare/eldercare, an original contract agreement with a licensed daycare/eldercare provider or preschool, or copies of canceled checks made payable to the childcare/eldercare provider (school tuition not covered). Our office will accept proof of payment that occurs during the enrollment period, only. Students who rely upon family members or close friends must pay with a check in order to receive the budget increase. Students who are not able to do so will not be permitted to add the additional expense to their nine-month budget.

Additionally, student budget increases do not cover child support payments. However, if the student will provide support through a direct payment to the childcare provider or preschool, then the petitioned request falls under the "childcare guidelines" and the student may request an increase.


Included in the standard budget is an allowance for minor medical and dental costs for the student only. Budgets may be increased for your expenses not covered by personal health insurance. Receipts must be obtained from the physician and submitted with the petition. Estimates will not be accepted. Only expenses incurred and paid during the enrollment period will be considered. Eligible students must submit a Budget Increase Request Form.


The standard budget expense for rent is $1,324/month. However, UCLA will allow up to an additional $200/month for rent expenses that exceed the standard allowance. Students with dependent children are eligible to apply for a total increase of up to $400/month. Students must submit a current rental or lease agreement that includes their name. Cancelled checks may be requested for audit purposes. Law students who wish to request a budget adjustment for rent can obtain a Housing Adjustment Form.

Special Projects

Additional expenses for Bar exam registration, special course projects, thesis preparation, research projects, and internship program expenses may be considered. For the Bar registration adjustment, you must submit verification of registration for the Bar. Only one Bar registration adjustment will be allowed. For other special projects submit an itemized budget, signed by a professor or an advisor on department letterhead, to verify that the expenses for the project are reasonable and necessary and pertain to the academic year.

Special Expenses for Students with Disabilities

We will consider documented expenses related to the education of students with disabilities.