- B.A. UC Riverside, 1969
- J.D. UCLA, 1972
- UCLA Faculty Since 2002
Forrest S. Mosten teaches Mediation, Lawyer as Peacemaker, Family Law Practice: A Non-Litigation Approach and Introduction to the Lawyer-Client Relationship in the Lawyering Skills Program.
Professor Mosten is in full time practice as a Family Lawyer and Mediator serving as a peacemaker who never goes to court. His practice focuses on high conflict clients and relationship dynamics and complex financial and legal issues. Professor Mosten serves as a Collaborative Lawyer, Represents Clients Participating in Mediation, Offers Unbundled Limited Scope Representation to Otherwise Unrepresented Clients, and helps his clients attain legal wellness by representing clients in Pre-Marital and Post-Marital Agreements and other areas of preventive law practice.
In addition to his law and mediation practice, Professor Mosten trains lawyers and mental health professionals in mediation and collaborative practice from basic to advanced courses and is in constant demand worldwide as a conference keynote speaker and expert witness.
Professor Mosten is the author of four books: The Complete Guide to Mediation (with Professor Elizabeth Scully) (2nd Edition, 2015), Collaborative Divorce Handbook (2009), Mediation Career Guide (2001), and Unbundling Legal Services (2000). He has two books forthcoming in 2017: The Family Lawyer’s Guide to Unbundling Legal Services (with Professor Elizabeth Scully) and Building a Successful Collaborative Practice (with Adam Cordover). In addition, Professor Mosten has authored numerous articles on mediation, interdisciplinary collaborative practice, expansion of legal access, building profitable legal and peacemaking practices, cutting edge issues in family law, and other dispute resolution topics.
Professor Mosten was 2009 ABA Frank Sander Co-Lecturer at the ABA Dispute Resolution Annual Conference held in New York. In 2004, he was the recipient of two prestigious ABA Awards: ABA Lawyer as Problem Solver Award and ABA Lifetime Legal Access Award (he is recognized as the “Father” of Unbundled Legal Services). In 1996, he received the Los Angeles County Bar Louis M. Brown Conflict Prevention Award, and was named by the Southern California Mediation Association as Peacemaker of the Year. He is the founding Chair of the Beverly Hills Bar Dispute Resolution Section and has received two major awards for his work in mediation from that organization. He is a founding member of Mediators Without Borders.
Since 1989, Professor Mosten has been the Chair of the International Client Consultation Competition, a law school activity affiliated with the International Bar Association that bears his name (www.brownmosten.com).
Mr. Mosten can be reached at www.mostenmediation.com.
Articles And Chapters
- Interdisciplinary Teamwork in Family Law Practice (with Lara Traum), 56 Family Court Review 437 (2018).
- The Family Lawyer's Role in Preventive Legal and Conflict Wellness (with Lara Traum), 55 Family Court Review 26 (2017).
- It Takes a Village: Using Seniors to Help Divorcing Families (with Lara Traum), 17 Cardozo Journal of Conflict Resolution 767 (2016).
- Unbundled Services to Enhance Peacemaking for Divorcing Families, 53 Family Court Review 439 (2015).
- Forward, in The House Matters in Divorce (Laurel Starks, Unhooked Books, 2015).
- The Lawyer as Collaborative and Preventive Peacemaker, in Reinventing the Practice of Law (edited by Luz Elena Herrera, ABA Book Publishing, 2014).
- Family Lawyering: Past, Present, and Future (with John Lande), 51 Family Court Review 20 (2013).
- Using Mediation Stories to Improve the Teaching of Conflict Resolution, 34 Cardozo Law Review 2455 (2013). Full Text
- Disputant Autonomy and Power Imbalance (with Billy Eddy), in Mediation Ethics: Cases and Commentaries (edited by Ellen Waldman, Jossey-Bass, 2011).
- The Future of Collaborative Practice: A Vision for 2030, 49 Family Court Review 282 (2011).
- Confidential Mini Child-custody Evaluations: Another ADR Option, 45 Family Law Quarterly 119 (2011).
- Collaborative Lawyers' Duties to Screen the Appropriateness of Collaborative Law and Obtain Clients' Informed Consent to Use Collaborative Law (with John Lande), 25 Ohio State Journal on Dispute Resolution 347 (2010).
- Lawyer as Peacemaker: Ethical and Innovative Practice Roles, 43 (3) Family Law Quarterly 489 (2009).
- The Uniform Collaborative Law Act's Contribution To Informed Client Decision Making In Choosing A Dispute Resolution Process (with John Lande), 38 Hofstra Law Review 611 (2009).
- Collaborative Law Practice: An Unbundled Approach to Informed Client Decision Making, 2008 Journal of Dispute Resolution 163 (2008).
- Collaborative Reproduction and Rethinking Parentage, 21 Journal of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers 43 (2008).
- Lawyers in a Fee Quandary: Must the Billable Hour Die? (with Claude R. Bowles, Jr., Joel F. Henning, and William Hornsby), 6 DePaul Business and Commercial Law Journal 487 (2008).
- Unbundling Legal Services to Help Divorcing Families, in Innovations in Family Law Practice (edited by K. B. Olson and N. Ver Steegh, Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, 2008).
- Book Review, 45 Family Court Review 149 (2007). Review of The Blackwell Handbook of Mediation: Bridging Theory, Research, and Practice, by Margaret Herrman.
- The Potential of the Family Law Education Reform Project for Family Lawyers, 45 Family Court Review 5 (2007).
- The Potential of the Family Law Education Reform Project for Family Lawyers, 45 Family Court Review 5 (2007).
- Institutionalization of Mediation, 42 Family Court Review 292 (2004).
- Book Review, 40 Family Court Review 266 (2002). Review of The Dynamics of Conflict Resolution: A Practitioner's Guide.
- The Lawyer's Role During Agreement-Making, 11 American Journal of Family Law 13 (1997).
- Emerging Roles of the Family Lawyer: A Challenge for the Courts, 33 Family and Conciliation Court Review 213 (1995).
- Unbundling of Legal Services and the Family Lawyer, 28 (3) Family Law Quarterly 421 (Fall 1994).
- Confidential Mini-Evaluation, 32 Family Court Review 373 (1992).
- The Role of the Therapist in the Co-Mediation of Divorce: An Exploration by a Lawyer-Therapist Team (with B. Biggs), 9 Journal of Divorce 27 (1985).
- Introduction of Special Issue on Client Counseling, 18 Creighton Law Review 1329 (1985).
- Building a Successful Collaborative Family Law Practice (with Adam Cordover) ABA Book Publishing (2018).
- Unbundling Legal Services: A Family Lawyer's Guide (with Elizabeth Potter Scully) ABA Book Publishing (2017).
- The Complete Guide to Mediation (with Elizabeth Potter Scully) 2nd ed. ABA Book Publishing (2015).
- Collaborative Divorce Handbook: Helping Families Without Going to Court Jossey-Bass (2009).
- The Complete Guide to Mediation: The Cutting-Edge Approach to Family Law Practice ABA Book Publishing (2003).
- Mediation Career Guide: A Strategic Approach to Building a Successful Practice Jossey-Bass (2001).
- Unbundling Legal Services: A Guide to Delivering Legal Services à la Carte American Bar Association, Law Practice Management Section (2000).
- Late Nights and Cancellation Rights: Bolstering Enforceability of Mediated Settlements with a Cooling Off Period (with Thomas Trent Lewis and Elizabeth Potter Scully), 38 Family Law News (2016).
- Introduction, 17 Cardozo Journal of Conflict Resolution (2017). Jed D. Melnick Symposium, All in the Family: Intimate Parties, Intimate Issues and ADR.
- Peacemaking for Divorcing Families: Editor's Introduction, 53 Family Court Review (2015).
- Unbundling Legal Services in 2014: Recommendations for the Courts, 53 Judges' Journal (2014).
- Take Off Your Tie, and Leave Your Phone at the Office, L.A. Daily Journal (May 16, 2012).
- Unbundled Legal Services Today--And Predictions for the Future, 35 Family Advocate (2012).
- Confidentiality in Mediation, 31 California Lawyer (2011).
- Guest Editor's Introduction, 49 Family Court Review (2011).
- Collaborative Practice: Key Issues and Future Trends, Aspatore (Feb. 2011).
- Building a Successful Law Practice Without Ever Going to Court, 27 GP Solo (2010).
- Before You Take a Collaborative Law Case: What the Ethical Rules Say about Conflicts of Interest, Client Screening, and Informed Consent, 33 Family Advocate (2010).
- Representing Your Clients in Mediation: Effectively Setting Up a Mediation, Los Angeles County Bar Association (2009).
- Collaborative Lawyers' Duties to Screen Cases for Appropriateness and Obtain Clients' Informed Consent (with John Lande), 28 AFCC News (2009).
- Introduction, 2009 ACResolution Magazine (Spring 2009a). Special Issue.
- Marketing Our Practices, 2009 ACResolution Magazine (Spring 2009b).
- Secrets to Successful Mediation Practice, ABA Dispute Resolution Just Resolutions (Summer/Fall 2007). Parts 1, 2 and 3. ABA
- Where to Locate Your Mediation Practice, ABA Dispute Resolution Just Resolutions (Spring 2007). Full Text
- The Path of the Peacemaker: A Mediator's Guide to Peacemaking, 5 ACResolution (2006).
- Advanced Mediator Moves (with D. Mercer), Association for Conflict Resolution Family Section News (Fall 2006). ACR Family Section, Parts I and II.
- Intake Should Be Your Primary Marketing Strategy, Just Resolutions (Jan. 2006). American Bar Association Dispute Resolution.
- Unbundling State-Side: The American Bar Association and Some State Bars Have Adopted Unbundling with Enthusiasm, 41 LAW SOC’Y J. (2003).
- Unbundle Your Practice: Increase Profits by Coaching Clients, 16 Utah Bar Journal (2003).
- What’s the Big Deal About Unbundling?, 29 Law Practice Management (2003).
- Better Discretion, 146 SOLIC. J. (2002).
- Using Your Duty to Inform as a Marketing Tool, ADR Report (Apr. 2001).
- Unbundling Legal Services: Servicing Clients Within Their Ability to Pay, American Bar Association Judge's Journal (Winter 2001).
- Peacemaking Can Be Your Day Job, 24 SPIDR Newsletter (2000).
- Unbundled Legal Services in Mediation, ADR Report (Nov. 1999).
- Unbundling Your Mediation Services, 3 ADR Report (1999).
- (Mosten Mediation Training, 1998a).
- Recent Developments in Mediation, LACBA News and Review of Los Angeles County Bar Association Family Law Section (Summer 1998b).
- Written Mediation Agreements and Settlement Stipulations, DRS Newsletter (LA County Bar) (Fall 1998c).
- Our Own Communication Is Important Too (with J. Kichaven), Southern California Mediation Association News (Nov. 1997).
- Eleven Questions Most Commonly Asked About Mediation, 17 Fair Share: The Matrimonial Law Monthly (1997).
- Mediation in Divorce Cases: Two Views (with P. Gangel-Jacob), Trial Magazine (Aug. 1997).
- Preventing Future Conflict Through Legal Wellness Check-Ups, Preventive Law Reporter (Fall 1996).
- Unbundling Legal Services, International Legal Practitioner (June 1996).
- Preventive Mediation in Blended Families, 3 Dispute Resolution Magazine (1996). American Bar Association, Dispute Resolution Section.
- The Client Library: Law Firm's Preventive Law Classroom, Preventive Law Reporter (Fall 1995).
- Client Centered Consultation and ADR (with R.S. Redmount), International Legal Practitioner (Mar. 1995).
- Coaching the Pro Se Litigant, American Bar Association Complete Lawyer (Winter, 1995).
- Louis M. Brown: His Work in Preventive Law Receives Long Awaited Recognition, Preventive Law Reporter (June 1994).
- The Lawyer As Dispute Resolution Manager, 15 Family Law News and Review (1994).
- Avoiding Trial in Family Law: ADR Options and Methods, Los Angeles Lawyer (Sept. 1993).
- The Case for a National Legal Health Strategy (with T.H. Gonser), Preventive Law Reporter (Summer 1993).
- Mediation and Prevention of Business Disputes, Beverly Hills Bar Journal (Summer 1993).
- Mediation Makes Sense: How to Prevent an International Crisis, ABA Family Advocate (Spring 1993).
- The Violent Family: Part II Intervention Strategies for the Family Lawyer (with N. Kaser-Boyd), 15 Family Law News (1992).
- Lou Brown: Preventive Law and World Harmony, Preventive Law Reporter (Dec. 1991).
- The Violent Family: Psychological Dynamics and Their Effect on the Lawyer-Client Relationship (with N. Kaser-Boyd), 14 Family Law News (1991).
- The Duty to Explore Settlement: Beyond Garris v. Severson, 12 California State Bar Family Law News (1989).
- The Consulting Lawyer in Private Divorce Mediation: Sample Client Retainer Letter and Discussion, 10 LA County Bar Family Law News and Review (1989).
- Preventive Planning in the Resolution of Dispute, 64 Denver Law Review (1988).
- The Option of Private Family Law Mediation (with S.E. Wasserstrom), Beverly Hills Bar Journal (Spring 1987).
- How to Provide Legal Services to Middle Income Clients Profitably, State Bar of California (1985).