Join our panel of experts for a deeper conversation discussing the origins of Critical Race Theory, a breakdown of the current debate, and a thoughtful analysis of what is at stake.
Distinguished Professor of Law Emerita
- B.A. University of Colorado, 1960
- J.D. State University of New York at Buffalo, 1971
- LL.M. Harvard, 1974
- UCLA Faculty Since 1979
Grace Blumberg continues to teach Community Property on recall. Her primary areas of research are marital property, family, and social welfare law. She was a Reporter for the American Law Institute's Principles of the Law of Family Dissolution (2002), for which she authored the chapters on child support and nonmarital cohabitation and was named Justice R. Ammi Cutter Reporter. A gifted teacher who made significant contributions to the School of Law's Academic Support Program, Professor Blumberg received the School of Law's Rutter Award for Excellence in Teaching in 1989 and the University's Distinguished Teaching Award in 1999.
Before joining UCLA, Professor Blumberg clerked on a New York appellate court, was a teaching fellow at Harvard Law School, and spent five years on the SUNY Buffalo Law School faculty.
Professor Blumberg has authored, in addition to the ALI Principles, the casebook Community Property in California (7th ed., 2016), Blumberg's California Family Code Annotated (23rd ed., 2017) and many law review articles. She also writes bi-monthly commentary for California Family Law Monthly and authors amicus curiae briefs in family law and community property cases before the California Supreme Court and Court of Appeal.
- Blumberg California Family Code Annotated. Thomson West (2020). Prior annual editions: 1994-2019.
- Casebook, Community Property in California. 7th ed. Aspen (2016). Prior editions: 6th, 2012; 5th, 2007; 4th, 2003; 3rd, 1999; 2nd, 1993; and 1st, 1987.
Articles And Chapters
- California's Adoption of Strong Domestic Partnership Legislation for Same-Sex Couples, California Policy Options (2006).
- Derecho de Familia en los Estados Unidos, Derecho de Familia II, 10 Revista de Derecho Comparado (2005).
- Legal Recognition of Same-Sex Conjugal Relationships: The 2003 California Domestic Partner Rights and Responsibilities Act in Comparative Civil Rights and Family Law Perspective, 51 UCLA Law Review 1555-1617 (2004).
- The Regularization of Nonmarital Cohabitation: Rights and Responsibilities in the American Welfare State, 76 Notre Dame Law Review 101-44 (2001).
- The Financial Incidents of Family Dissolution, in Cross Currents: Family Law in England and the United States Since World War II, (Oxford University Press, 2000).
- Balancing the Interests: The American Law Institute's Treatment of Child Support, 33 Family Law Quarterly 39 (1999).
- Child Support, in Family Law: Cases, Text, Problems, 510-539 3rd ed. (edited by Mark Ellman, Paul Kurtz, Elizabeth Scott, Lexis Law Publisher, 1998).
- Foreword, Women and the Law: Taking Stock After Twenty-Five Years, 6 UCLA Women's Law Journal 279-87 (1996).
- Intangible Marital Property, in 2 Valuation and Distribution of Marital Property, 23 (edited by John P. McCahey, Matthew Bender, 1995). Prior Versions: 1987 and 1984.
- Identifying and Valuing Goodwill at Divorce, 56 Law & Contemporary Problems 217-72 (1993). Published in a modified version as Chapter 25, "Professional and Business Goodwill" in Valuation and Distribution of Marital Property 25(1)-25(75) (edited by John P. McCahey, Matthew Bender, 1992).
- Who Should Do the Work of Family Law?, 27 Family Law Quarterly 213-27 (1993).
- California's Child Support Guidelines, 8 California Family Law Monthly 420-27 (1992).
- Review Essay, 2 UCLA Women's Law Journal 309-24 (1992). Reviewing The Illusion of Equality, by Martha Fineman.
- Review Essay: Reworking the Past, Imagining the Future, 16 Law & Social Inquiry 115-54 (1991). Reviewing Silent Revolution, by Herbert Jacob.
- The Relationship between Property Division and Spousal and Child Support, in Valuation and Distribution of Marital Property, (edited by John P. McCahey, Matthew Bender, 1990).
- California Classification of Severance Pay, 14 Community Property Journal 14-19 (1987).
- Contributor, in Encyclopedia of the American Constitution, (edited by Leonard W. Levy, Kenneth L. Karst, et al., Macmillan, 1986).
- Marital Property Treatment of Pensions, Disability Pay, Workers' Compensation, and Other Wage Substitutes: An Insurance, or Replacement, Analysis, 33 UCLA Law Review 1250-1308 (1986).
- New Models of Marriage and Divorce: Significant Legal Developments in the Last Decade, in Contemporary Marriage: Comparative Perspectives on a Changing Institution, 349-72 (edited by Kingsley Davis, Russell Sage Foundation, 1986).
- Legal Issues in Nonsurgical Human Ovum Transfer, 251 Journal of the American Medical Association 1178-81 (1984).
- Adult Derivative Benefits in Social Security: A Woman's Issue, in Women and the Law: The Social and Historical Perspective, Volume II, (edited by D. K. Weisberg, Schenkman Books Inc., 1982).
- Cohabitation Without Marriage: A Different Perspective, 28 UCLA Law Review 1125-80 (1981). Symposium: New Directions in Family Law.
- Adult Derivative Benefits in Social Security, 32 Stanford Law Review 233-92 (1980).
- De Facto and De Jure Sex Discrimination under the Equal Protection Clause: A Reconsideration of the Veterans' Preference in Public Employment, 26 Buffalo Law Review 1-82 (1977).
- Sexism in the Code: A Comparative Study of Income Taxation of Working Wives and Mothers, 21 Buffalo Law Review 49-98 (1971).
- Casenote: Powell v. McCormack, 19 Buffalo Law Review 105-17 (1970).
- Comment, Legal Methods of Historic Preservation, 19 Buffalo Law Review 611-39 (1970).
- Principles of the Law of Family Dissolution: Analysis and Recommendations (American Law Institute, 2002).
- Justice R. Ammi Cutter Reporter, in Principles of the Law of Family Dissolution (American Law Institute, 1998-2001).
- Agreements Chapter (with Ira Ellman and Katharine Bartlett), in Principles of the Law Of Family Dissolution: Analysis and Recommendations (American Law Institute, April 20, 2000). Tentative Draft No. 4 approved by the membership in May, 2000; Council Draft No. 6 (November 16, 1999); Preliminary Draft No. 9 (September 30, 1999).
- Domestic Partners (Nomarital Cohabitation) Chapter (with Ira Ellman), in Principles of the Law Of Family Dissolution: Analysis and Recommendations (American Law Institute, April 20, 2000). Tentative Draft No. 4 approved by the membership in May, 2000; Council Draft No. 6 (November 16, 1999); Preliminary Draft No. 9 (September 30, 1999).
- Child Support Chapter, in Principles of the Law of Family Dissolution: Analysis and Recommendations (American Law Institute, April 8, 1998). Tentative Draft No. 3 Part II, approved by the membership in May, 1998; Council Draft No. 4 (September 26, 1997), Volume II; Preliminary Draft No. 7 (June 9, 1997), Volume I; Council Draft No. 1 (November 22, 1993); Preliminary Draft (September 9, 1993).
- Book Review, 30 American Journal of Comparative Law 350-55 (1982). Reviewing Marriage and Cohabitation in Contemporary Societies, edited by John M. Eekelaar and Sanford N. Katz.
- Book Review, 4 Comparative Labor Law 75-78 (1981). Reviewing Working Women in Japan: Discrimination, Resistance and Reform, by Alice Hanson Cook.
- Federal Income Tax and Social Security Law, Paper Presented at the Request of the Joint Economic Committee for American Women Workers in a Full Employment Economy: A Compendium (1977). Reprinted in Women in the U. S. Labor Force (1979).
- Book Review, 53 Texas Law Review 1354-69 (1975). Reviewing Sex Discrimination and the Law: Causes and Remedies, by Barbara Allen Babcock et al.
- Features of Federal Income Tax Law Which Have a Disparate Impact on Women and Working Couples, Paper Prepared at the Request of the Joint Economic Committee for Economic Problems of Women, Hearings Before the Joint Economic Committee, 93rd Congress, 1st Session at 228-53, 273-78 (1973).
- Household and Dependent Care Services: Section 214, Paper Presented at the AALS Symposium on The Law School Curriculum and The Legal Rights of Women, NYU Law School (1972). Reprinted in Economic Problems of Women, Hearing Before the Joint Economic Committee. 93rd Congress, 1st Session at 240-53 (1973).