?The UCLA Law Program on Philanthropy & Nonprofits invites you to join us for our second Lunch Talk on Careers in Nonprofit Arts on Wednesday, October 4, 2023 from 12:00pm-1:15pm in Law Room 1430.
Professor of Law
- B.A. UCLA
- J.D. Harvard Law School
Michael Waterstone is Dean of UCLA School of Law. Prior to coming to UCLA Law, Waterstone was the Dean of LMU Loyola Law School and Senior Vice President of Loyola Marymount University.
Dean Waterstone is a nationally recognized expert in disability and civil rights law. Throughout his legal career, Waterstone consulted on projects for the National Council on Disability and testified before the United States Senate on issues related to voters with disabilities and older voters. Internationally, he worked with foreign governments, non-governmental organizations, and academic institutions on disability rights laws in Israel, Japan, China, Bangladesh, Ireland, and Vietnam. He has published articles in the Harvard Law Review, Emory Law Review, Notre Dame Law Review, Minnesota Law Review, Duke Law Journal, Vanderbilt Law Review, William and Mary Law Review, and Northwestern Law Review, amongst others.
Dean Waterstone has been a visiting professor at Washington University School of Law in St. Louis, University of Haifa, Faculty of Law, and Northwestern University School of Law, where he was selected as the Outstanding First Year Professor in 2014-2015. Dean Waterstone began his teaching career at the University of Mississippi Law School.
Before entering teaching, Dean Waterstone worked as a litigation associate at Munger, Tolles, & Olson, LLP, in Los Angeles. Waterstone also clerked for the Honorable Richard S. Arnold on the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit.
Today, Dean Waterstone enjoys spending time with his wife, Julie, three children, Ava, Jack, and Sam. You can find him coaching little league, mountain biking, enjoying beach activities and reading.
- Top Ten Leadership Lessons Learned From Being Dean During COVID-19, 52 Toledo L. Rev. 337 (2021). Full Text
- Paul Steven Miller: A Life Of Influence, 64(3) Journal of Legal Education 493 (2015). (JLE’s Legends of the Legal Academy series) Full Text
- Backlash, Courts, and Disability Rights, 95 Boston University Law Review 833 (2015). (symposium edition). Full Text
- The Costs of Easy Victory, 95 William & Mary Law Review 587 (2015). Full Text
- Disability Constitutional Law, 63 Emory Law Journal 527 (2014). Full Text
- Disability Cause Lawyers (with Michael A. Stein and David B. Wilkins), 53 William & Mary Law Review 1287 (2012). Full Text
- Cause Lawyering for People with Disabilities (with David B. Wilkins & Michael A. Stein), 123 Harvard Law Review 1658 (2010). Full Text
- Returning Veterans and Disability Law, 85 Notre Dame Law Review 1081 (2010). Full Text
- Disabling Prejudice (with Michael A. Stein), 102 Northwestern University Law Review 1351 (2008). Full Text
- A New Vision of Public Enforcement, 92 Minnesota Law Review 434 (2007). Full Text
- Disability, Disparate Impact, and Class Actions (with Michael A. Stein), 56 Duke Law Journal 861 (2006). Full Text
- Lane, Fundamental Rights, & Voting, 56 Alabama Law Review 793 (2005). Full Text
- The Untold Story of the Rest of the Americans with Disabilities Act, 58 Vanderbilt Law Review 1807 (2005). Full Text
- Civil Rights and the Administration of Elections – Toward A Universal Voting Standard, 8 Journal of Gender, Race, & Justice 99 (2004).
- Constitutional and Statutory Voting Rights for People with Disabilities, 14 Stanford Law & Policy Review 353 (2003). Full Text
- Let’s Be Reasonable Here: Why the ADA Will Not Ruin Professional Sports, 2000 BYU Law Review 1489 (2000). Full Text
- A Casebook on Disability Civil Rights Law (with Blanck, Myhill, and Siegal). 3rd Edition ed. West Group Publishing (2013).
- Hornbook: Disability Civil Rights Law and Policy (with Blanck, Hill, and Siegal). West Group Publishing
- Natural Disasters and People with Disabilities (with Janet Lord and Michael A. Stein), in Law, Property, & Society (Ashgate Press, 2008).
- Disability Law, in Encyclopedia on Disability (Sage Publications, 2004).