The UCLA School of Law and Drexel University Thomas R. Kline School of Law co-host the Trial by Combat, the 1-on-1 collegiate mock trial national championship. This tournament aims to celebrate the best individual college competitors in the country—and identify the very best.
The third annual Trial by Combat was to be held June 26-28, 2020 in Los Angeles, at the UCLA School of Law. The 2021 event will be in Philadelphia. We are proud to partner with Drexel, home to one of the most successful trial advocacy law school programs in the nation.
- Competitors receive the case on the morning of the first day of the tournament and have approximately 24 hours to prepare.
- Each trial has two attorneys (P attorney v. D attorney) and two witnesses (P witness v. D witness).
- During the four preliminary trials, each competitor performs each of those four roles exactly once, though significantly greater weight is placed on attorney performance. The top four students compete as attorneys in the Semifinals, and the winners compete as attorneys in the Championship Trial.
- The field is limited to 16 competitors nationwide.
- During the tournament, competitors may receive help/coaching from one person—a coach, a teammate, an alum, whomever they wish.