Tsinghua University School of Law
Beijing, China

Are classes taught in English?

There are three English language programs: the LL.M. in Chinese Law, International Arbitration and Dispute Settlement (IADS), and International Intellectual Property. There are about ten classes taught in English for each program. Some examples of these courses include Chinese Foreign Investment Law, International Arbitration in Asia, and International E-Commerce Law. Exchange students are eligible to take any English courses offered at the law school and in other departments at Tsinghua, provided that they first receive approval to do so from the department and UCLA. Students seeking to take courses offered in Chinese must first demonstrate satisfactory proficiency in the language. View previous years' curricular offerings in Chinese Law, IADS, and International Intellectual Property online. The International Students Office also maintains a comprehensive list of courses taught in English during each academic term.

What are the major strengths of the program?

Tsinghua is best known for Chinese Law, International Arbitration, and Intellectual Property Law. Previous UCLA Law students who studied abroad at Tsinghua pursued coursework there with a focus on Chinese Law.

How many U.S. exchange students are there?

The Chinese Law program is offered exclusively for international students, many of whom come from U.S. schools. Tsinghua has partnered with William & Mary, from which it accepts about two students per semester. Tsinghua also has exchange partnerships with the following U.S. law schools: Duke, Berkeley, Emory, Tulane, Loyola, and Case Western. Tsinghua will accept two students from UCLA Law per semester, or up to four students per academic year.

What is the term schedule?

The fall semester runs from mid-August to late December. The spring semester runs from mid-February to late June. View the most recent academic calendar as a reference. Tsinghua also provides information regarding the previous academic term's academic calendar in English. Students seeking a greater variety of English language course offerings should consider pursuing study abroad at Tsinghua during the spring semester.

Where can I get housing?

Tsinghua offers three different types of on-campus housing in its dormitories to incoming exchange and international students for approximately $400-$500 per month. While exchange students are eligible to apply for on-campus housing, due to limited availability, accommodations cannot be guaranteed. Off-campus accommodations are not provided by the university, and if incoming exchange students do not reserve an on-campus dormitory prior to their arrival, they are responsible for handling their off-campus living arrangements. The International Studies Office provides additional information regarding accommodations and related logistical matters for exchange students.