The Master of Laws (LL.M.) degree is an advanced, one-year graduate program in which students have the flexibility to enroll in one of several distinct specializations or customize their studies in pursuit of their unique professional goals.
Designed for those who already hold a J.D. or equivalent law degree, the LL.M. welcomes J.D. graduates of U.S. law schools to learn from our world-class faculty and enhance their credentials. Our robust curriculum includes advanced courses in every legal discipline and a rich array of clinical education opportunities.
Our nine LL.M. specializations include disciplines such as Business (with tracks in Tax, Securities, and more), Entertainment, International and Comparative Law, Environmental Law, and Human Rights. These specializations provide students with an excellent opportunity to develop expertise in their chosen legal field.
LL.M. students who wish to focus their studies in an area in which UCLA does not offer a specialization may opt to design their own individualized specialization. Previous students have developed specializations in fields such as Criminal Justice, Health Law, Litigation, and more.
UCLA Law is pleased to welcome J.D. graduates of U.S. law schools who wish to invest in the long-term with an additional year of legal training. Our program offers:
- Course selection from our full range of outstanding upper-division offerings.
- Law school social events with students and practitioners.
- Networking with peers and prominent alumni from a range of practice areas to gain insider tips for launching a successful career.
- Individual sessions with dedicated career counselors.
- Access to an active alumni network - a community of 18,000 and counting - located in cities across the nation and engaged in the full range of practice areas.
"We pride ourselves on training LL.M. students from a range of backgrounds, including from practice or right out of school. Our flexible curriculum allows students to pursue a specialization or to individually tailor their studies to advance their personal goals. Our graduates often report that their time spent at UCLA was the most enriching year of their education."
- Lara Stemple, Assistant Dean for Graduate Studies and International Student Programs
Admissions to our 2021-2022 LL.M. Program are now closed. We invite U.S. J.D. graduates to apply for admission to our 2022-2023 LL.M. Program by completing our standard application process when the application becomes available online in September. The deadline to apply for admission to the 2022-2023 LL.M. Program is February 1.