- After clicking the button above
- Log in to continue an application OR
- Set up your account to start a new application and follow the prompts to create and open an application.
- Start a new application.
- Select 2020-2021.
- Under Plans for Graduate Study, select "Master of Legal Studies MLST".
- Complete the remainder of the application.
The early application deadline is March 1. Decisions on applications that are completed by this date will be made by April 1.
The regular application deadline for fall 2020 matriculation is May 15, 2020. Applications received between March 1 and May 15 will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
All applications to the M.L.S. program must submit materials through the UCLA Graduate Division. The application fee is $120 ($140 for foreign students). This fee is set by the UCLA Graduate Division.
M.L.S. applicants must have earned a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution with a grade point average (GPA) of B (3.0 of 4.0) or better, or its equivalent if the letter grade system is not used.
Applicants are encouraged to submit results from a graduate-level admission entrance exam, which may be the GRE, LSAT or GMAT, but this is not required. There is no minimum score necessary for consideration.
Applicants with substantial work experience may request that the minimum-GPA requirement be waived. Waiver requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Students who have earned a J.D. are ineligible for the M.L.S. program. These students should consider applying to our LL.M. program.
Applicants must also submit:
- An application form that provides demographic information, education and employment history
- A statement of purpose (up to 500 words, approximately one page)
- Personal statement (up to 500 words, approximately one page)
- 2-3 letters of recommendation
- Resume / C.V.
- Transcripts from all education institutions
- Only unofficial transcripts need to be uploaded. Upon acceptance, official transcripts are required.
- International applicants are required to submit evaluated transcripts for the Bachelor’s degree (see below for additional international applicant requirements).
For those who received their undergraduate education outside of the United States, please note the following:
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree from a university approved for consideration by UCLA’s LL.M. program or other top designated program;
- Must submit evaluated transcripts (see below for list of companies that provide this service);
- Applicants who did not earn their undergraduate degree at an institution that provides instruction primarily in English must take the TOEFL. Requirements are available at: https://grad.ucla.edu/admissions/english-requirements;
- International applicants who have earned a first degree of law are ineligible to apply to the M.L.S. program and should apply to the LL.M. program.
For transcript evaluations, choose from one of these evaluation companies: